I’ve been on and off keeping up with a little thing I like to call “Top Hat Tuesdays” on Twitter. Top Hat Tuesdays are exactly what they sound like, every Tuesday you put a hat on your noggin and dress up a little.
my not-quite-top hat for this Tuesday
Why you ask?
- Because top hats, and artful hats in general, are beautiful and deserve a comeback. Hats cover a multitude of sins like bad hair days and lazy mornings, while managing to pull together an outfit and give you a more polished look than the effort really deserves. Double points!
- Because Tuesdays are kind of boring, and could use some sprucing up! They’re the day you kind of settle into the work week, and can be a drag, so why not make them a little bit more fun and give yourself an excuse to dress up a little
- Because you can count yourself among fantastic top hat devotees like Marlene Dietrich and Josephine Baker.
- Because this tidbit: “The inventor of the Top Hat, John Hethrington, was fined £50 in 1797 for ‘appearing on the public highway wearing upon his head a tall structure having a shining lustre and calculated to frighten timid people.'” Ha! source
- Because alliteration is fun. That’s really all I’ve got on that one, but it gives me glee anyway.
- Because the making of top hats is truly an art.
Now that I’ve made my public declaration in favor of Top Hat Tuesdays, I’m going to be more diligent in employing it in my own life. And I’d love to see your photos of your little behatted self! Use hashtag #TopHatTuesday on Twitter or comment here and I’ll post ’em!