cookie guns make my day
Happy Monday my loves!
Sorry if you tried to check the site earlier and it was down. I don’t know what happened either but everything appears to be on the up and up now.
So last week in Fins and Feathers I gave our first creative challenge. A big thank you to everyone who subscribed and submitted their responses! I’m thinking now that I’m going to post the challenges here as well, so anyone can check in on the site. I’ll also announce them in Fins and Feathers as well as other plans and different content than you see here, so Subscribe! if you want the down-low on all my goings on (the stalker in you wants it).
But back to our first challenge:
This week, the plan was to get back to our passions by finding out what makes us giddy, what really turns our crank. So we all Made a list of 100 things that make us happy. I asked for your top ten, in any order, and got some great responses.
My top ten are:
- 3. laundromats
29. the sound of cows running
65. popping zits
76. all-night diners
79. watching TV in my underwear
And here are the best submissions from the week:
- 1. driving home from the grocery store and seeing the setting sun light up the tops of the changing trees
2. my husband
3. my daughter
4. taking long baths with bath salts in the water or anything else I can find in my linen closet (since for some reason bath toiletries have been a popular gift the last few years I have amassed quite a collection) with lit candles and a cigarette and ashtray handy.
5. the first days of fall
6. cute outerwear
7. telling guys that are hitting on me that I am married
8. reminding my husband that he is sixteen and sometimes seventeen years older than me (especially when he is telling stories about getting in trouble as a teenager…I like to remind him that I hadn’t been born yet)
9. being tipped well
10. driving around on back roads when it’s cold with all my windows down and the sunroof open
- 1. Oki my cat
2. sitting and chatting with friends over coffee and dessert
3. seeing others happy
4. playing music
5. picking up some little item and giving it to a friend who isn’t expecting it.
6. the color green
7. foreign films
8. my dad
9. laughter from children
10. best friend Amy
- 2. Lynn (my wife)
3. Cooper, especially when he wants to go out side and it’s raining and he flattens his ears out straight out to the sides as if to shade the long fuzzy hair on the sides of his face from the rain.
8. The sound of that first cup of hot coffee pouring into a thick ceramic mug, that slight ring and shallow swoop as it fills up.
11. Hearing that “hi, daddy” early in the morning, a sound so sweet and soft, it’s a little like what I think the bells in heaven will sound like (sorry a little sappy on that one)
19. When the sun comes beaming in the kitchen window in late afternoon and makes the tomatoes and apples and peppers and grapes by the sink shine like a 16th century painting.
22. That truly ineffable moment when I feel the mirror in my camera snap up and hear that soft “click” of the shutter. It’s better when it’s an old two and a quarter camera, but my new cameras still do it too.
29. When it thunders but doesn’t rain
51. The feeling after raking a yard full of leaves and then for no good reason acting like a five year old and diving in head first
85. That feeling of frictionless freedom, heading down the first long wide blue slope on the mountain.
94. All green lights
I hope they helped you tap into creative ideas about things you’re already intimate with, because those are sometimes the best inspiration.
This week’s challenge is going to be a bit more free. I want you to explain, in a photo, in a short film, or in words, any way you like, snow. It can be scientific or romantic, just your own experience to someone who’s never seen it before. If you’re a Southern Hemisphere-er or a coastal person, I want you to tell me what the ocean is like to someone who’s never seen it.